What it is:
This is an upgrade kit with all the parts necessary to install the new Rat Rig V-Core Toolhead on an existing V-Core 3.1.
The new Rat Rig Toolheads are the result of painstaking testing and design iteration to achieve optimal printing performance. With a rigid, light and compact metal body, they use only a few printed parts which are supplied in ABS, to withstand the high temperatures of an enclosed printer. STLs for optional toolboard mounts are also available.
While the EVA 3 toolhead is designed for maximal compatibility with a huge variety of extruders, hot-ends and other accessories, the Rat Rig Toolheads are streamlined to be used specifically with our favourite combination: the Rapido Hotend with the Orbiter extruder.
does not include Printed parts
- All parts rigidly mounted to aluminium top plate for solid performance
- Super tight distribution of mass
- Low part count for an easy build
- Extremely short filament path between extruder and hot-end for a true direct drive experience
- Reduced weight to minimize vibration and maximize acceleration (only 425 grams with all hardware included)
- Improved input shaper results
- Steel cage "skeleton" for unparalleled rigidity
- Designed for ABS or ASA printed parts with only a few heat inserts
- The Toolhead ABS printed parts (optional) are shipping with pre-mounted heat inserts
- Highly optimised airflow path for extremely efficient part cooling
- Compatible with V-Core 3.1 and V-Core 3.1 IDEX
- Optional Toolboard mounts (STLs available)
This is an upgrade kit with all the parts necessary to install the new Rat Rig V-Core Toolhead on an existing V-Core 3.1, including all the hardware to mount the head along with a new full length belt.
The Printed Parts kit does not include a toolboard mount by default, but 2 STL variants are available:
- Vertical Toolboard Mount - requires a regular USB cord (Not included)
- Horizontal Toolboard Mount - recommended for power users as it provides additional cooling due to toolboard/fan positioning. It requires a USB cord with a 90º Angled plug (not included)
Advantages of using the Toolboard:
- One extra driver for your extruder, allowing you to use a 5 driver mainboard with the V-Core
- Connect all Toolhead electronics directly to the Toolboard, then connect the Toolboard to mainboard. Useful to reduce the number of cables being routed through the wiring loom, reduce the need for cable extensions, and making it easier to swap/upgrade Toolhead electronics.
For Assembly Guide, BOM, STL files for Printed Parts, or CAD file, access documentation at docs.ratrig.com