What it is:
introducing the StrongHold PRO - a high-performance, heavy-duty CNC machine designed to meet the demands of woodworkers, fabricators, and manufacturers. A versatile machine that can be configured to fit your needs with customizable sizes and electronics.
With three different working areas to choose from, ranging from 1000mm² to 1500mm², the machine provides ample space for large-scale projects. The maximum Z clearance of 125mm allows you to work with thicker materials, while the frame made of 40 series extrusion provides a sturdy and stable platform for your work.
The HG25 & HG15 rails and ball screw transmission on all axes ensure smooth and precise movement, giving you unparalleled accuracy and repeatability. The 12mm thick gantry plates provide additional rigidity and reduce vibration, resulting in a smoother and more consistent cut.
The StrongHold PRO is equipped with inductive endstops, ensuring accurate and reliable positioning, and a double spindle/router mount that supports a wide range of tools. This means you can work with a variety of materials, including wood, foam, plastics, and metals, with ease and efficiency.
The StrongHold PRO also features an integrated drag chain-based cable management system, keeping your workspace tidy and organized, and reducing the risk of damage to your machine.
With its configurable size and electronics, high-quality construction, and advanced features, the StrongHold PRO will become an essential part of your workshop.
- Long parts
- Base parts kit
- plate set v1.0
- Printed parts
- Machine kit
- wiring kit
- Extra parts bag
what you need to source
- motors for x y z (x4)
- spindle with vfd
- power supply & misc wiring for motors
- Maximum Z Travel: 130mm
- Maximum Z Clearance: 125mm (Excluding spoilboard)
- Spindle Mount: 65mm, 71mm, 80mm
- Linear Rail - X: HG25
- Linear Rail - Y: HG25
- Linear Rail - Z: HG15
- Transmission - X: Ballscrew - 16mm Diameter, 10mm Lead
- Transmission - Y: Ballscrew - 16mm Diameter, 10mm Lead
- Transmission - Z: Ballscrew - 12mm Diameter, 4mm Lead
- Full Step Distance - X: 0.05mm
- Full Step Distance - Y: 0.05mm
- Full Step Distance - Z: 0.02mm
Rat Rig StrongHold PRO 1000x1000
Machine Dimensions X/Y/Z: 1400mm x 1400mm x 515mm
Frame Footprint X/Y: 1240mm x 1275mm
Machine Work Area X/Y: 1000mm x 1000mm
Spoilboard Size: X/Y: 1050mm x 1216mm
Rat Rig StrongHold PRO 1000x1500
Machine Dimensions X/Y/Z: 1400mm x 1900mm x 515mm
Frame Footprint X/Y: 1240mm x 1775mm
Machine Work Area X/Y: 1000mm x 1500mm
Spoilboard Size: X/Y: 1050mm x 1716mm
Rat Rig StrongHold PRO 1500x1500
Machine Dimensions X/Y/Z: 1900mm x 1900mm x 515mm
Frame Footprint X/Y: 1740mm x 1775mm
Machine Work Area X/Y: 1500mm x 1500mm
Spoilboard Size: X/Y: 1550mm x 1716mm
STRONGHOLD PRO Recommended Setups:
Beginner setup style:
- For beginners, a simple all-in-one controller like the BlackBox X32 is a good place to start.
- If you're a fan of Duet and Duet Web Control, the Duet 3 6HC it's a perfectly solid choice. Maybe the main drawback is that contrary to the other controllers, this one doesn't come with its own enclosure, so you may want to make an enclosure for it to avoid getting it all dirty with woodchips.
- You won't need to order any external motor drivers if you're using our standard high torque motors as the BlackBox X32 or the Duet 3 6HC can drive those.
- You can select a simple 1x 350 watt 24V PSU
- If you select the BlackBox X32, you can optionally add the OpenBuilds Interface if you'd like some extra hand-on control of your machine.
- You can select a router tool that doesn't need any VFD such as the Router11 routers. These are a lot simpler to use compared to a VFD driven spindle setup.
- But you can use the 80mm 2.2KW spindle with VFD with the BlackBox X32 if your prefer to, for instruction on this, check the BlackBox X32 documentation
- For spindle/router mounts, in general, you can select a 65mm for Router11 or BOSCH/Makita style routers, or a 71mm for Dewalt.
Warning: The AMB (Kress) routers with the 43mm router mount are not compatible with the StrongHold PRO due to their low clamping point and lack of a second clamping point. This severely limits the cutting depth. The Stronghold PRO Z-axis is mainly designed for 80mm spindles, although other longer body router tools such as BOSCH/Makita style or DeWalt can also be mounted easily.
Advanced setup style:
- For demanding users, the CNCdrive AXBB-E is our favourite solution, running UCCNC (or Mach3/4 for those who prefer it)
- Select a UCCNC license if you plan to use this software
- You'll need 4 external drivers, we offer the TB6600 and DM542T(coming soon)
- You'll need various voltage power supplies (48V, 5V, and 24V) in different wattage outputs:
- 2 x 48V 320 watt is recommended to power the motors and their drivers
- 1 x 24V 75 watt is recommended for auxiliary power like probes, contactors etc.
- 1 x 5V 15 watt is recommended to power the AXBB-E controller
- You can optionally add the CNCDrive wireless jog pendant if you'd like some extra hand-on control of your machine
- A full size 80mm 2.2KW spindle with VFD is the way to go for more demanding work
- Select a double 80mm mount for the 80mm spindle mounting
Aditional items you need to source:
- Power cords - you will need to source your own power cords to connect your PSU(s) to mains.
- Wiring Cables - The kit includes cables and connectors for the endstops and stepper motors. You will have to source the cables for the remaining connections (e.g. to connect the controller to the PSU). The type and number of cables will vary depending on your choice of controller and add-on components.
- You may need a few zip ties for cable management.
- Spoiler board - use your own preferred locally sourced material. Check the correct spoiler board size for your machine in the above Machine Dimensions. The thickness of the spoil board will affect the maximum working height. It is recommended to use a spoiler board which is at least 10mm thick.